Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Spotlight on Classical Music Training

Here is just a little piece of what I feel was missing from my classical music training...

I don't remember my teachers ever talking to me about THEIR process of learning music, how they practice, and prepare for performances...what kinds of joys and struggles they encountered in studying music. I know some of my peers in music just knew how to practice, and how to work through their issues naturally, but not every student knows these things. I believe that part of a teachers responsibility, at any level of teaching, whether youth or college level, should be to share, as in depth as possible, good practice techniques with students, and as importantly, initiate dialogue about the ins and outs of being a musician and performer---what this means both personally and professionally, and share their OWN stories, not just hypothetical ones. And then, encourage the student to share their experiences of this process, on an ongoing basis.

I always saw my teachers as more than human. I assumed they bypassed all of the struggles and work I was engaged with. Therefore, I didn't think they would understand what I was going through, and so I never initiated dialogue about my personal relationship with music. My lessons were filled mostly with discussions about the notes, and interpretation. I remember one teacher gave me a piece of paper, when I was about 15 years old, and it had the word discipline on it, with its' definition. And then she went on to say that all the talent in the world means nothing without discipline behind it. Now, this is all well and good, and makes sense...but at the time, I had no idea what the translation of that was into the day to day scenario of practicing. I don't think she knew this. She probably just assumed I was lazy.

Now that I am a teacher, I notice the most difficult part of teaching the music is facilitating the students interest in practicing at home, on their own. It is not so different for yoga, or any other discipline for that matter. It is always easier to work in a group or with a teacher than on your own. So, I have started to talk to my students about my own process, and share with them, that yes, indeed, it can be the most difficult part of learning music, to sit down, by oneself, and listen, and alter, and repeat, and ask questions. And, I also let them know how many different ways we can sit down and play the instrument on our own, that it can fun, and challenging, and difficult, and frustrating, and completely fulfilling. I think it's important for them to know these things, because that is the reality of the nature of practice. I want to go back in time, and be a fly on the wall as my teachers practice on their own, and not only as they were adults, but also when they were just learning to play. It would be so fascinating!

After all, the PROCESS of learning the music is where we spend most of our time, not on the concert stage, so why not study the PROCESS more!

That's all for this edition,

Until then,

XO

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment